5.08.2012

Turn a Sweater into a Cardigan

I bought a yellow crew neck sweater from Target a couple years ago. I bought it because I liked the mustard color, I liked how soft it was, and that it was only $5! How could I pass up a deal like that? I thought that I would wear it if I had it in my closet. In all actuality, I probably wore this sweater 2, maybe 3 times. In the mean time, I had been looking around for a mustard yellow cardigan, but I couldn't find what I was looking for at the right price.  This crazy idea popped into my head, why don't I just make one myself??....so...I did.

I'm sure it's not the first time it's ever been done, and it probably isn't as creative as I thought I was being....but I am pretty proud of how this whole thing turned out!

(keep in mind I am no seamstress or tailor, so this is not very "professional" or precise)

What you will need:
* sweater/shirt of your choice (knit is preferable because it doesn't unravel as much as a woven)
* scissors
* sewing machine, serger, OR needle, and thread matching your sweater
* ribbon/lace/trimming for the finish (optional)

Fold the shirt in half with the back sides touching each other. Cut just the outer layer (this is important!) along the straight edge, so that when you open the shirt, it has just the front side opening down the middle.
Using a sewing machine/serger (or by hand), finish the edge so it won't unravel or fray. Knits don't unravel as rapidly as woven fabrics, but it is still important to do so just in case it starts to.
I used a zig zag stitch all along the edge of both cut sides. You can take it one step further and hem the edge, for a nicer finish. I skipped this step because (if you look close) the edges sort of rolled in on itself, so I didn't feel that it was really necessary.

 You can take it even another step further and go for a cleaner finish, by using a ribbon or some lace. This can also add some flare to your new cardi (example below). I kept it simple this time, but I am loving all the different options and possibilities! Also, to have it close in the middle, consider adding loops/buttons or hook/eye.

Now go through your closet and find that sweater that's been collecting dust, and make it a staple in your wardrobe again!


8 comments:

  1. I have been looking everywhere for a decent tutorial on how to convert a jumper/sweater into a cardigan - I have found it, thank you!
    Oh, and do you know where I could download a theme similar to yours? I really like it.
    Love the blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Grace! I am so glad that you like the tutorial.
      I actually used the simple template by blogger for my blog layout and played around with it until I got the result that I wanted. I know a few graphic/website designers that have very simple yet beautiful blog designs for sale, if that is what you are interested in.

      Thanks again, and stop by often ;)

      Delete
  2. That's so nice :-) I think I will be doing that. I love my green sweater but I think of "cardiganing" it sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  3. On your self-designed Cardigan .we want you to be happy and satisfied. We are ready to help you in every step of the way. Any questions that you have can be discussed either by phone, email or through our designer for Cardigan . And our design team is ready to help and discuss any ideas and concepts that you may have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing article .This is s helpful for me .Thanks for sharing with us . keep going on update . . we also available for you 24 hours support at
    QuickBooks customer servicefor quickbooks issue

    ReplyDelete
  5. I m very glad after Read your article .If you have any issue For QuickBooks Error Contact at

    quickbooks customer service phone number

    ReplyDelete
  6. After read Your article i feel very refresh about QuickBooks information if you also looking solution of quickbooks software you can just click and dial at

    quickbooks customer service+1 877-693-1117

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you do not have the budget for polished concrete, concrete grinding jacksonville is the simplest way to maintain the raw appearance of your concrete flooring. They are perfect for commercial, residential, or industrial sites in Jacksonville, Florida and have several perks.

    ReplyDelete